Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The End is Nigh!


After weeks of dedication and perserverence, my ballet camisole is nearing the end! I can't even begin to relate to you the relief that this instills in me. I must confess I was at the point on frogging this a ways ago. It seemed to be going nowhere, it was dull as dishwater to knit and the yarn (Jo Sharp Desert Cotton) makes a lovely fabric but is a pain in the rear to work with. Sam gave me the pep talk ("you will love it when it is done" "just do a bit more and see how you feel" "don't frog it yet") and I made a resolution to hammer on.

Hammering on meant bribe myself with a number of deals - no casting on or working on anything else until you have done 5 rounds, If you do an hour on the pink horror you can cast on something new, and so forth. Surprisingly, once I made the decision to finish the damn thing it has gone quite quickly, but it still was very boring!

The yarn was/is the most frustrating thing to work with! It is splitty, as are lots of cottons, but more frustrating is he way it kinks and twists as you are working a ball. I had to reball every ball and then knit from zip-lock bags to stop the balls tangling with themselves and each other. Even that wasn't a guarantee and I spent much time detangling.

How am I feeling about the project as it nears the end? I do like the finished look and I do like the fabric that the yarn produces. Will ever knit the pattern again or buy the yarn again? HELL NO!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Oooh interesting info. This is in my queue, but I was going to use some Noro Lily...

So was it mostly the yarn that made it a pain to knit?

Looking forward to seeing it modelled anyways...

Jack said...

That and I found it extremely dull! I was so pleased to reach the split for the back and front so that I could PURL!!! Wooppydo! I think that it will be a lovely classic garment though when it is finished.

Sam said...

nearly there! can't wait to see it finished!