Thursday, December 27, 2007

My Camera Case

Tonight I had a little 100purewool left over from a OSW and decided that a little camera case for my new Canon might be in order.

Before I put down the pattern can I just indulge in a small explaination. I don't publish my patterns because I think they are the greatest patterns ever written or to feather my own ego. Mainly I started doing it because of Ravelry. I have to confess that I find it immensely frustrating to see an FO that I think looks really cool and when I look up the project it is listed as a "Personal Pattern, not found in Ravelry". If I like it I want to knit it! So given that this frustrated buggery out of me, when I started doing a few of my own things I decided that I would publish the patterns just in case someone wanted to know how they were done.

Thanks for that...

Materials

About 25g of yarn

DPNs of the appropriate size: DK yarn 4mm
Worsted 5mm
Bulky 6mm

Darning needle

Tape measure

Gauge is 22/16/12 sts / 10 cm for DK/Worsted/Bulky yarns.

Pattern

All the calculations here are for worsted weight yarn, for DK yarn, wherever it says to multiply by 16 instead multiply by 22. Similarly if you wanted to use bulky yarn multiply by 12. All measurements are in cm. The calculations for my case are for a Canon A550.

CO the circumference/10 x 16 + 4 sts. Make sure that this number is divisible by 3, round up if necessary. My case was a 36 st cast on.

Round 1: Knit

Round 2: Purl

Round 3: Knit

Round 4: Purl

Knit rounds until work measures 4 cm.

Eyelet round: *K1, YO, K2 tog* repeat from * to * for entire round.

Knit rounds until the work measures the Length of camera + depth of camera from the eyelet round. (12 cm in my case)

Calculate for Decreases.

Calculate Height / 10 x 16 sts (side a)

Calculate side b as (total stitches – (side a x 2) – 4) divided by 2

Example for my version side a = 6cm / 10 x 16 = 10 sts (rounded up)

Side b = (36 sts – 20 sts – 4 sts) = 12 stitches / 2 = 6 sts

Decreases:

Round 1: ssk, k side a -4 sts (6sts in my case), k2tog, k1, ssk, k side b – 4 sts (2sts in my case), k2tog, k1, ssk, k side a -4 sts (6sts in my case), k2tog, k1, ssk, k side b – 4 sts (2sts in my case), k2tog, k

Next Round: As above but with 2 less stitches between ssk and k2tog – in my case : ssk, k4, k2tog, k1, ssk, k2tog, k1, ssk, k4, k2tog, k1, ssk, k2tog, k1

Continue until there are only two stitches on the shortest side of your base. Graft remaining stitches across the bottom.

Weave in ends.

Thread i-cord, ribbon or just about anything through the eyelets.

Modifications thanks to Sam!

Sam used this pattern to make this camera case but did it slightly differently!


Sam used a provisional cast on and worked from the base up. To do this calculate the total number of stitches you would need to cast on if you were doing it the original way. Use the calculations for the decreases as per the original pattern. provisionally cast on the side a number of stitches, knit double the number of rows as stitches calculated for side b and then pick up the correct number of side b stitches as you carry on in the round. Hope that make sense. if it doesn't just do it top down!

This pattern (and modifications) are provided free for your own personal use. You may knit it for yourself, as a gift, a swap or for charity. This pattern is not intended for commercial use. Any intended commercial use requires permission in writing.




7 comments:

catsmum said...

totally agree with you - and the other reason why I do the same is so that I'll know later what I used, what size needles and so on. I always think I'll remember but having to enter project specs on ravelry proved to me that I don't always.

YawnOver said...

This is adorable - you are so clever!

g-girl said...

thanks for this pattern! I just got a new digital sans a case and was trying to figure out in my head how I would go about making a case. now i know!

Anonymous said...

I love this case! Is there an easy way to adapt this though? I haven't graduated to DPNs yet. Thanks for any help!

mel

melissa said...

I love this case! Is there an easy way to adapt this though? I haven't graduated to DPNs yet. Thanks for any help!

mel

Tammy♥ said...

Like this...thank your for sharing!!

amanda kirk said...

Thanks for a pattern. But Instruction is not easy to figure it out.