Sunday, December 23, 2007

Quick as a flash Sundresses


I just whipped up these two little sundresses for our Goddaughters this afternoon. Notwithstanding the several rethreadings of the overlocker, they took me half an hour each to make. So quick and easy were they that I decided to do my first ever sewing tutorial (look at me go all crafty before Christmas).

Well here goes nothing!

Step 1: Measure your child! You need the measurement of their widest part (usually the hips), the distance from the top of their shoulder to their underarm, and the distance from their shoulder to where you would like the hem of the dress.

Step 2: Cut two rectangles of fabric that are the hip measurement plus 7 cm by the shoulder to hem measurement plus 6cm.


Step 3: Sew the side seams from the bottom to a spot that is the shoulder to underarm measurement plus 4cm from the top. You will note in the picture that I marked this point with a pin and stopped there.

Step 4: Press open the sides of the top opening level with the seam. Once you have done this, press under the cut edge to make a neat folded hem around the armhole.


Step 5: Sew the armhole hem going down one side, across the bottom of the opening and up the other side. I actually went back and forth a few times across the base of the opening for added strength.


Step 7: Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other armhole. ;)

Step 8. Make a casing across the top front and top back of the dress by pressing over 2cm and then 2cm again and sewing close to the fold. I also like to snip my corners as shown in the photo to stop them showing.


Step 9: At this stage you might like to overlock, zigzag or french seam the side seams depending on the type of fabric you have used. Once you have done that press and sew the hem of the dress and the hard work is done! I like to do a rolled hem but you could as easily overlock the edge and hem.


Step 10: Thread ribbon or other ties through the top casing. I entertained doing some lovely ties from the same fabric but really couldn't be bothered. You could do this, use cord or really anything else you liked.

Step 11: Tie the ribbons at the shoulders and voila!This pattern is provided free for your own personal use. You may knit it for yourself, as a gift, a swap or for charity. This pattern is not intended for commercial use. Any intended commercial use requires permission in writing.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Ah they are so sweet :).

And I wish I could sew!!

Sam said...

industrious! Very impressive :) I sewed today too! Nothing as complicated as clothing though ;)

Tania said...

Fabulous. I am going to give that one a go, thanks!

Sue said...

Gorgeous dresses. I love the fabric too, just perfect for little girls.