Sunday, March 30, 2008

Edna Rose

It is my Gran's 94th birthday on Friday. I am sure she wouldn't mind me saying that. Once you get past 90 I think every birthday is a trophy! So what do you give a 94 year old for her birthday? I mean, really, if you don't have everything you need and want by 94 when are you ever going to have it?

So I decided to honour Gran's birthday by designing something especially for her. May I present "Edna Rose", not-so-skillfully-modeled by me.


The pattern if you are interested.....

Materials

110 metres / 120 yds 8ply (DK) yarn. I used Bendigo Woolen Mills Classic

4mm 40cm circular

4mm DPNs

Stitch marker

Darning Needle

Glossary

p2tog: purl 2 stitches together

yf: bring the yarn forward to the front of the work

ssk: slip one stitch onto the right needle, slip another, knit through the back loop

k2tog: knit 2 stitches together


gauge : 22cms /10sts

The beginning

CO 120 sts

Join to work in the round (be careful not to twist your stitches)

Work 10 rounds of 2 x 2 rib

The pattern (Lily of the Valley)

Round 1: *k5, p2tog, k2, yf, k5, yf, k2, p2tog, k2* repeat to end of round

Round 2: knit all stitches

Round 3: *k4, p2tog, k2, yf, k1, yf, k2, p2tog, k7* repeat to end of round

Round 4: knit all stitches

Round 5: *k3, p2tog, k2, yf, k3, yf, k2, p2tog, k6* repeat to end of round

Round 6: knit all stitches

Round 7: *k2, p2tog, k2, yf, k5, yf, k2, p2tog, k5* repeat to end of round

Round 8: knit all stitches

Round 9: *k7, p2tog, k2, yf, k1, yf, k2, p2tog, k4* repeat to end of round

Round 10: knit all stitches

Round 11: *k6, p2tog, k2, yf, k3, yf, k2, p2tog, k3* repeat to end of round

Round 12: knit all stitches

Repeat rounds 1-12 three times or until work measures approximately 15 cm from beginning

Decrease Rounds

Round 1: *k2tog, k3, p2tog, k2, yf, k5, yf, k2, p2tog, ssk* repeat to end of round

Round 2: *k2tog, k14, ssk* repeat to end of round

Round 3: *k2tog, p2tog, k2, yf, k1, yf, k2, p2tog, k3, ssk* repeat to end of round

Round 4: *k2tog, k10, ssk* repeat to end of round

Round 5: *k2tog, k1, yf, k3, yf, k2, p2tog, ssk* repeat to end of round

Round 6: *k2tog, k7, ssk* repeat to end of round

Round 7: *k2tog, k4, yf, k1, ssk* repeat to end of round

Round 8: *k2tog, k4, ssk* repeat to end of round

Round 9: *k2tog, k2, ssk* repeat to end of round

Round 10: *k2tog, ssk* repeat to end of round

Thread end through remaining stitches and secure.

This pattern is provided free for your own personal use. You may knit it for yourself, as a gift, a swap or for charity. This pattern is not intended for commercial use. Any intended commercial use requires permission in writing.

8 comments:

Rachael said...

Oooh it's very pretty! Happy Birthday Gran!

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous! you are such a talented chicken jack!

Happy Birthday to Edna Rose

Vanessa Warheit said...

Thanks for the pattern! The hat is beautiful and I'm looking forward to trying it out (with Rowan felted tweed yarn). I hope your Gran is still around -- she is very, very lucky to have such a great (and talented, and generous) granddaughter!

Vanessa

JaaPa said...

Thanks for the pattern! It's fantastic!

Heidi said...

Thank you for sharing the pattern! I made one for a friend starting chemo, here is a link to my blog post:http://humbleluna.blogspot.com/2011/01/for-friend.html

Unknown said...

I love your pattern, I paired it with a bunch of fun colors and it makes me so happy that I just wanted to write you a note and thank you for sharing the Edna Rose with all of us.

Unknown said...

I found this wonderful hat pattern through Ravelry. Im so delighted with it. This one is for me but as its working out so nicely I think I will also make one for my best friend!

Unknown said...

Oops I meant to also say Thank You!